Monday, December 11, 2017

*Day 11 - Separating The Sheep From The Goats*

Today's Story: Separating the Sheep From The Goats

For the last 10 days we have learned about 8 different Biblical shepherds. For the next 5 days, we will be learning some important lessons based on sheep stories in the Bible.

As Christians, we believe that Jesus died on a cross for our sins. He was raised from the dead on the third day, and after a while, he ascended to heaven to sit at the right hand of God, his Father. The position of sitting on the right hand side means Jesus has authority alongside God. We also believe that there will come a time when Jesus will return to earth. When Jesus comes back to Earth again, it will not be like the first time he came. It will be to judge everyone who has ever lived. When he comes back, he will separate people into two categories, like shepherds separate sheep and goats.

In the book of Matthew, he details this in a sermon by Jesus:   

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.  –Matthew 25:31-33

What is the significance of separating the sheep and the goats? Sheep are quiet and gentle animals. They are easily led by their shepherds and quietly graze. Goats are different. Goats are rambunctious and rebellious. Goats also browse instead of graze. Shepherds separate them into two groups because they are so different. They are two very different types of animals just like the two groups God will separate everyone into:

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. –Matthew 25:34

Jesus tells us that those who are placed on the right, the sheep, will inherit the kingdom he has prepared for us. Then he tells us why:

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. –Matthew 25:35-40

Then Jesus talks about what will happen to the goats, the ones on the left:

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. –Matthew 25:41-46

Jesus details several selfless acts in which we can either help the people around us or not. He says when there is a need to be met, we should meet it as if we are doing it to Jesus. , "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me". In this season of giving, what are you doing for the people around you? If there is a need that needs to be met, are you willing to meet it? Would you be willing to do it if it was Jesus? We need to treat others as if we were doing it for Jesus himself. We never know what someone might be going through, and you may never know how you can bless someone.

Today, think of one thing you can do for somebody else, and do it. You can make such an impact on someone’s life by treating them in the same way that you would like to be treated. This is so important to Jesus that he says when we do these things, it will be like we are doing them for him. 


“Dear Lord, thank you for being our heavenly father. I am so grateful to be one of your children. This Christmas season, teach me how to treat others like I would like to be treated, and use that for your glory. Help me to make it a habit so it lasts all year, not just during Christmas. Forgive me for not wanting to help people, sometimes. I know it hurts your heart when I don’t help those around me. Give me a heart for others so that I am always in your will. In Jesus’ name, AMEN!”

No comments:

Post a Comment