Wednesday, December 13, 2017

*Day 13 - The 23rd Psalm*

Today’s lesson is on the 23rd Psalm


David wrote a beautiful Psalm (which means hymn) about how God is our shepherd. You can find it in Psalm 23. It says:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3     He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Isn’t the 23rd Psalm beautiful? The language David uses is so elegant, but it’s great for another reason: It shows us how amazing our God is in so many different ways. Like a shepherd with his sheep: God wants the best for us, he wants to make sure we’re always taken care of, he helps us when we’re scared, he protects us, he doesn’t let anyone run over his children, He anoints us, he is good to us, he is merciful, and one day, he’ll allow us to come live with him in Heaven forever. We serve an amazing God.

Today, make a list of all the things you want to thank God for, and thank him for those things. There are a lot to choose from! Are you grateful that God forgives? Are you grateful that God loves us? Are you thankful that he protects us? Take time today to thank him for what he has personally done in your life. We take him for granted so much. If you don’t think you have much to be thankful for, thank him for other things. Thank him for your home, your family, food… you name it! God created everything!

“Dear heavenly Father, thank you for everything you do for us. We love you so much. I am most thankful to you for _____________________. I know that nothing comes about without you being in it. You created the whole world AND me! Forgive me for taking you for granted sometimes, and forgive me for taking the things in my life for granted sometimes. Thank you for being our Great Shepherd. In Jesus’ name, AMEN!”

No comments:

Post a Comment