Saturday, December 16, 2017

*Day 16 - I Am The Door*

Jesus often spoke in parables. A parable is a story that teaches a lesson. Jesus told this parable:

10 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

He was speaking in metaphors, and they didn't understand very well, so he explained it to them:

7 So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Jesus explained that he is the only good shepherd. Anyone else isn't. There are many people who want to lead. They want to be in charge, but the harsh reality is, they just want power. If someone is trying to lead you, they want what is best for you. Jesus says he loves you so much that he is willing to lay down his life for you... and he actually did. What other person or god would lay down his life for us? Jesus says that anyone else we would try to follow are like hired hands who don't care about the sheep. They have no stock in them so they don't care how the sheep are treated as long as they get paid. Jesus is the true shepherd. He cares about the flock and what happens to them.

When false teachers try to lead you astray, remember the true shepherd, and the words of the Bible. When other religions start to look appealing, remember what Jesus did for you that nobody else ever could. When hard times come, don't trust people who will run away. Trust in God who created the world, and knew you before the foundation of it. Trust in Jesus who died, just for you.

Today, ask God for discernment. Discernment is the ability to judge between good and bad based on what God places in your heart. Discernment is really important because it helps us determine who is really for God and who isn't. Ask God for him to help point out the people in your life that might be false teachers. Ask him to point out why he is the one true God.


Dear heavenly Father, there are a lot of people who say they are your shepherds, but they aren't good shepherds. Please give me discernment to help me see who is a good shepherd and who isn't. Help me to see why you are the one true God, and why other gods aren't. Give me the discernment to know what is good for me and what isn't, according to your word. There are so many people who live by their own words and not yours. Give me the courage to do what you want, and not be led astray by those who don't actually care about me. Bring good leaders into my life that are grounded in your Word, that will help lead me wisely. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment