Sunday, December 3, 2017

*Day 4 - Jacob*

Today's story is about a shepherd's dream - Jacob

Yesterday we talked about Abraham and Isaac. Today we are talking about Isaac's son, Jacob.
Abraham and Isaac raised their families to be shepherding families. When it was time for Jacob to start a family of his own, he was sent by his father to look for a wife. On his way there he had a dream:

12 And he dreamed, and behold, there was a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven. And behold, the angels of God were ascending and descending on it! 13 And behold, the Lord stood above it and said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. 14 Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” --Genesis 28:12-15

Jacob had an incredible encounter with God. In his dream, God promised Jacob that he would be the father of many nations. God also promised to always be near, and take care of Jacob's family.

In the Christmas season, we celebrate the birth of Jesus. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are all Jesus' ancestors. When God made these promises to Jacob, he was reminding him of the promises he had made to Abraham. These promises would trickle down through Jacob's lineage all the way to Jesus.

In Galatians 3:29, Paul says, "And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise."

Because of Christ's death and resurrection, anyone can now share in the promises God first made to Abraham and later to Jacob in his dream.

God promises to take care of us. It’s important to remember that God is always with us. We can always call on his name, and he is right there for us. He always follows through with his promises and is faithful to hear when we call.

Today, who can you inspire by being there for them, like God is there for us? Are you following through with your promises? If people are counting on you, do you keep your word? As believers, there is something different about us that others see. We love God, and when we are doing God’s will, it’s visible to others through our actions. Strive daily to be a positive example for the people around you. Love one another, be faithful, hold other Christians accountable, do what is right, and set yourself apart from the rest of the world.


“Dear heavenly Father, thank you for being an amazing God! You are always with me, watching out for me, hearing me when I call, and keeping your promises to me. Thank you for always watching over your flock. Forgive me when I try to be like the rest of the world. You have called me to be so much more than what the rest of the world is doing. Help me to emulate you in all things. Help me to be set apart. Lord, please help me to be a positive example of your love by inspiring others with my actions. Thank you for your promises, and thank you for being faithful to always hear me. In Jesus’ name, AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment